Monday, 3 October 2011

Going Around Seoul

Just like the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side", I am sure most people dreamed of countries other than they are currently living are much more beautiful, advanced, and in many ways better than their own country. Well, today we'll see if that is true if we compare Seoul with Kuala Lumpur. Today I am going to show you some sights that you wont normally see in the internet or in Korean dramas.
"Traffic near Gongdok Station" by Adzrin Mansor
This is not the peak hour though, things go quite hectic around 8am and 7pm. South Korea's population is around 48 million people. The interesting part is 10 million of them are living in Seoul. Imagine that! Nearly 1/5 of the nation's population is stuffed in a city! So when I say hectic, I really do mean like, chaotic.


Firstly I am going to talk about the public transportation. It is efficient, with a bus coming in around 15-minute intervals or perhaps quicker in peak hours. In the picture above we can see a blue coloured bus and a green coloured bus. Then the subway, we can go just anywhere with the subway. Well Koreans are very dependent to the public transportation as it is quite expensive to own and drive a car in Seoul. The Koreans had Hyundai, Kia, Samsung (I really mean Samsung, google up Samsung SM5) but the price of petrol, parking is high. In general the cost of living is higher compared to Malaysia. This is why most people move around on buses and subways. The thing that I like the most is the "T-Money" card which is like Malaysia's Touch-and-Go touch card. Using the card, we will pay around 900won for the first fee and it is free to change to another bus later. If I ride the bus, and then transfer to a subway and then transfer back to a bus, the price is just 1000won. Not so bad, perhaps better than Malaysia, where we ended up having to pay for changing bus to other routes. The "T-Money" card is available in sale in all convenience stores and looks like this;
"My T-Money Card" by Adzrin Mansor
So, I shot some pictures around town from the bus. The next photo is a photo on apartments. In Seoul where the living costs is kinda high and the city is a bit crowded, most people opt for (or they had no choice) high altitude living, living in the skies. It is only the lucky few who got the chance to live in these apartments below;
"공덕" by Adzrin Mansor
or this;
"학교 가는 길" by Adzrin Mansor
Come on, lets be honest, I am just a student, so my house would look like this;
"삼명 아파트" by Adzrin Mansor.
Well it looks like this outside but it is actually very cozy and clean inside. With new wallpaper sticking to the wall, and new mats lying on the floor, even the kitchen cabinet is brand new, still smells like plywood. I love my house.


My Korean teachers brought me and my friends to a cycling trip along the Han River that runs across downtown Seoul recently, man the place was beautiful. I got some photos along the way.





The day that I went cycling is perhaps the last day where the temperature was comfortable enough to wear single layer clothing. Then it got colder as summer gave way to autumn. I just came back from a relaxing midnight stroll around my neighbourhood to unwind and play around in the cold autumn air. The temperature was 15°C but by the time I am writing this post, the temperature fell to 10°C. What a nice weather. I am expecting some difficulties in the coming winter months as temperatures can fall below zero and that is when the fun of having snow disappears. I know, I went through -21°C with 75km/h winds in Switzerland before so I know how it will feel. I came back from my midnight stroll carrying a new long sleeve shirt, which is made from thick fabric to protect me from the cold, a bag of sweets, and a full stomach after eating a shrimp burger as supper at Lotteria, a local fast food joint.
"The 지하철 Train" by Adzrin Mansor
"Shrimp Burger for Supper" by Adzrin Mansor
"D-Cube Sindorim" by Adzrin Mansor
The D-Cube is indeed new, I went to the first day it opened its doors for the first time and I featured it in my post D-Cube in Seoul. What a lovely place. Haha honestly I don't know what to write so I just wrote about my surroundings~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...