Monday, 28 November 2011

Sharing is Caring

Knowledge are beneficial only if it is shared to others, for them to learn. I once said that photography is more to a skill than to a talent. I never took it as an art but a tool for me to record important events. So a skill is learned, it is not earned from heaven. Recently there was a video making project at school where we are given the task to make a documentary like video introducing the famous places in Seoul. I did mine:

Camera/Editing: Adzrin Mansor

Subject:             Ralph, Khalish, Hatta, Syieda, Adzrin and people around
Storyline/Title:   Ralph, Khalish, Hatta, Syieda, Adzrin
Equipment:        Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 from Dzulhelmy.
Location:           Cheonggyechon Seoul.
Credits:             Audio editing is done by Ralph.
Special thanks:   Dzulhelmy for the equipment.
Video:               1280x720 30p. 



Unfortunately the teacher didn't chose us as the winner. My say, the winner's video is simple in terms of videography, in the techniques and all. But the content is great and the information is conveyed directly to viewers, viewers can understand it easily too. Good job mate.


In the heap of competitors there are some who shot the project with a DSLR, and I thought that sharing with them what I knew. His video is good, but I found that there is a part where the video goes dark, then washed white and soon dark again. I knew the culprit all along. It is the video autofocus. I encountered this problem before and I think that it would be wise to share my experience. So I posted at his Facebook praising his stable hold on the camera (he did very well indeed) and advises him not to use autofocus.


Here's why. DSLRs have an opaque mirror in its mirror box that reflects light from the lens to the pentamirror so that we can see it through the viewfinder.

When the mirror (coloured blue) is down at an angle it reflects light up to the pentamirror. The autofocus engine is also located on top of the mirror so to autofocus effectively the mirror needs to stay down. Unfortunately in video recording mode, the mirror is constantly up, giving way for the light to reach the sensor (green recording medium). In this situation, it can focus automatically but the speed will be slow, and the video's exposure is also messed up. That's the culprit behind the suddenly alternating dark and bright video. It is much ideal to focus manually by twisting the focusing ring on the lens itself. Once you've got a good grip on which way to turn for different distances, you'll gonna shoot like a pro.

Then he 'congratulates' me in 'winning' the best video while everybody knew I didn't. LOL. I think he's offended. Sorry man. I thought that it is a good thing to share what we know but it seems like you took it kinda personally.


In the video project, I got the chance to get out and shoot with my friends. I rarely got the chance to do that before as not all of us really cares about finding the beauty of Seoul when all that in their heads was the daily vocabulary exams and more exams. This time, I was not alone in making a project. It's not my work, it's our masterpiece. That's what matters the most to me.


I did a few projects before and I am flattered to see that my friends followed the techniques that I used before. It indicates that I have shared what I know, and they received it open-handed. This way I know that I have done at least something beneficial to them. If I'm not mistaken one of the everlasting deeds indicated by Allah is a beneficial knowledge shared to others. The rest is like a filial child and other things that I am still not capable of doing. It's my dream to be a beneficial to others and never be parasitic.


I saw that they used the escalator technique that makes the camera move, as if it is a panning slider shot like in this video's intro.


Camera/Editing: Adzrin Mansor
Subject:             Aiman Naim
Storyline/Title:   Izmir Khalish & Lukman Sakawi
Equipment:        Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a tripod from Aiman Naim.
Location:           Incheon International Airport, Seoul, South Korea.
Credits:             Song is sung by Michael Buble, titled Home.
Special thanks:   Aiman Naim.
Video:               1920x1080 24p. 




To make slideshow a little more interesting to see, some friends used the animated slideshow technique which involves in panning, zooming in and zooming out of an image which I also used in my video:

Camera/Editing: Adzrin Mansor
Subject:             Friends
Storyline/Title:  Adzrin Mansor
Equipment:        Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 from Ezaty and Nazirul.
Location:           Anyangchon, Guro, Seoul.
Credits:             Song is Sony NEX-7 advertisment.
Special thanks:   to Edward for lending me his 200mm f/2.8 prime.
Video:               1920x1080 24p. 




And I see that my friend Ralph really loves the out of focus shot like here.


Camera/Editing: Adzrin Mansor
Subject:             Seoulites
Storyline/Title:   Adzrin Mansor
Equipment:        Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a tripod from Dzulhelmy Ay.
Location:           Cheonggyechon Stream, Seoul, South Korea.
Credits:             Music is Postcards Form Far Away by Coldplay.
Special thanks:   Dzulhely Ay.
Video:               1920x1080 24p 



Currently I am planning of buying a low light lens and make better, brighter night view videos soon. Be beneficial to others and never be parasitic... A reminder to myself.

2 comments:

Ahmad Farith MY said...

u are recording using dslr ?

Adzrin Mansor said...

yes of course... I've put the details before the video

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...