Friday, 9 March 2012

Laptop Upgrade: Samsung NP300V4AH Laptop

Samsung NP300V4AH Laptop
Specs:

  • Intel® Core™ i7 Processor2630QM (2.00GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) Up to 2.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520MX Graphics, Optimus™ technology
  • 1TB S-ATAⅡ Hard Drive (5,400RPM)
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,333MHz (4GB x 2)
  • 14-inch screen and weighs 2.16kg
Sorry I don't know much about computers so no reviews from me if you are expecting one. My previous laptop was a Dell Vostro 3300 with 2.26GHz Intel Core i5 430M processor on board, was quite a good laptop. But after a year using it it had problems. The hard disk had a lot of bad sectors and I kinda 'fried' the motherboard graphic accelerator with long usage. 

Well, I had two weeks of leave before the semester starts so I spent it in my hometown Malaysia. I also thought that I can take it to a Dell service center as the Dell is still in warranty. But repairing it will take weeks. My time in Malaysia is counted in days, not weeks. I once considered of buying a desktop but my parents insists that a laptop has more mobility, especially for college use. So that's how RM2,550 or US$835 or 950,000 won flown away from the wallet...

Now that lightweight but still powerful Dell is now owned by my brother. The setbacks of the Dell that I can say is small hard disk space (although fast 7200rpm HDD), the Intel Media Accelerator HD is good but sometimes can't cope with high performance usage and the 32-bit Windows is not for high graphics performance. Still, it is very very cool to place on the  lap and very, very light laptop.


So my initial comments about my Samsung laptop is pretty much simple because I'm no computer whiz. This is a very cheap Core i7 laptop, probably cheapest among other i7 laptops. Why? The clock speed is 2.0GHz and goes up to 2.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost. Compared to other i7 laptops, the clock speed is around 2.4GHz and up to 3.5GHz with the Turbo Boost. But that thing costs double than the Samsung. Well, for the price some give or take is necessary right?


And some said that the clock speed is even lower than an i5 which usually has clock speeds of like 2.5GHz for example. Well, the Samsung being an i7 has double cache size than an i5. Which should make life better for the i7. It is also a 'QM' which is a quad-core mobile processor, with something called Sandy Bridge technology (which I don't yet fully understand) it works like a 8-core processor. Nice... To people buying this Samsung laptop, the clock speed is fine, this laptop is a powerhouse. Come on, want higher clock speeds don't buy a laptop, buy a desktop.


One thing that blows me away is the HDD capacity and the RAM. The HDD is 1TB or 1,000GB. Woohah! But, the HDD is not as fast my Dell at 7200RPM. This Samsung has a 5400RPM HDD which is just ok for that 1TB capacity. That is crazy big as my last laptop was a 320GB. While using the same DDR3 RAM with my previous laptop, this time it has 8GB or two 4GB chips. For the money and performance it offers currently, I love it.


By the way, RM2.5k for an i7 laptop? That's was so impossible last year when the second generation i7 was introduced. Back then it was around 3 times much expensive than this. What's up with the decrease in price? Some say the reasons are; time and Steve Jobs.


Time. The second generation i7 is getting older and some said it will be replaced with a newer technology soon. We'll see about that soon but STEVE? Before laptops were sold at high prices compared to desktops having the same specs just because of its mobility. Thanks to the iPad, people paid less attention to laptops for mobile computer solutions. Thanks Steve... So for people out there wanting a laptop, go for it. The time for the internet generation has come. 

See ya around

5 comments:

harry fall said...

Samsung Leptop Support|samsung support

zainulx3 said...

Salam bro, aku gune this kind of laptop jugak. Tapi, ko ade tak problem when installing games ? Bile aku try install latest game , Street Fighter X Tekken , dia mcm slow dan berat. Cine yg jual cd tu kate graphic card takde , tapi aku check features model ni ade graphic card.

http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/notebook-pc/essential/NP300V4A-S02MY-features

Any suggestion ?

Adzrin Mansor said...

kami pun taktau camne nak buat haha sorry. setakat ni takde masalah pun nak install apa2 game. layan Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, MW2, Black Ops, Battlefield semua, tanpa masalah kat laptop ni.

Brandon Hudson said...

Found very cool and unique info here in this blog. This is a great addition in my favorite blog list.

Samsung - 13.3" Ultrabook - 4 GB Memory and 256 GB Solid State Drive

Samsung - 15" Ultrabook - 8 GB Memory and 128 GB Solid State Drive - Silver

Zainul Asyraf Zukifli said...

OMG, it've been 3 years since I posted the question before and now I just notice your reply (even though it has been posted 3 years ago) :)

The problem solved actually. The graphic card have dual system which you just need to turn on the NVDIA one.

Thanks by the way :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...