Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side...

grass looks greener on the other side they said... it will be better there they said...
But I also complained that the weather was horrible in Malaysia until :
I went to Italy and burnt myself in its 40 deg C summer.
I went to England and slipped and fell on its icy pavement.
I went to Bangladesh and the torrential rain lasted 3 whole days.
I went to Nepal and froze my butt in the harsh Himalayan ice.
I went to Egypt and parched my throat in the dryness of the desert.


I complained that the houses in Malaysia were expensive until :
I went to Japan and learnt that a tiny home costs over RM 3 milllion.
I went to Pakistan where banks do not give loans to buy houses.
I went to Bangladesh and there were no houses to buy.
I went to Brunei and they won’t let me buy a house.
I went to France and the cheapest house in central Paris was 1 million Euros.


I complained that our civil service was slow and inefficient until :
I went to Myanmar and was told that every appointment would cost me a bottle of whiskey.
I went to Bangladesh and learnt that locals bow to the civil servants.
I went to Italy and saw how impolite government officers were.
I went to Philippines and nothing moves without a dollop of grease.
I went to Sudan and learnt that the civil service doesn’t do any work


I complained that my salary was low until :
I went to Indonesia and 30 million people live on < RM120 a month.
I went to UK and saw people begging in the streets.
I went to Netherlands and also saw people begging in the streets.
I went to Bangladesh where government officers earn RM100 a month.
I went to Cambodia and the locals thought I was a millionaire.


I complained about crime in Malaysia until :
I went to South Africa where people are shot dead every day.
I went to USA and learnt about the horrors of street-gang battles.
I went to Brazil where the murder rate is 10x higher than in Malaysia.
I went to Thailand and learnt about the trading of women and children.
I went to Singapore and could not buy chewing gum


I complained that the flash floods muddied my car porch until :
I went to Myanmar and witnessed the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis.
I went to USA and saw the massive destruction caused by a tornado.
I went to Indonesia and saw the damages the tsunami caused.
I went to Japan and lived through a nerve-wrecking earthquake.
I went to Philippines and saw the damage that a volcano can cause


I complained about how inefficient KLIA was until :
I went to UK and saw how bad facilities at London’s Heathrow were.
I went to USA and horrified by how difficult it was to clear security.
I went to Nepal and suffered the conditions at the Katmandu airport.
I went to Italy and had to put up with perpetual delays.
I went to Brunei and the efficiency was lembab nak mampus


I complained of unequal ethnic treatment in Malaysia until :
I went to Saudi Arab and saw locals treating foreigners like shit.
I went to India and saw the discrimination against the lower-castes.
I went to UK and many locals stayed away because of my skin color.
I went to Indonesia (in the 80’s and 90’s) and learnt that Chinese literature was banned.
I went to Australia and saw the Aborigine people treated like dirt.


I complained of how bad our traffic jams were until :
I went to Bangladesh and got caught in Dhaka’s chokablock.
I went to Indonesia and was stuck in Jakarta award-winning macets.
I went to India and suffered Mumbai’s horrendous peak-hour traffic.
I went to Thailand and my taxi was stuck for 3 hrs in Bangkok.
I went to Philippines and the locals praised how nice KL traffic was


I complained that the standard of English in Malaysia was poor until :
I went to Italy and learnt that a lot of people cannot speak English.
I went to France and the locals refuse to speak English.
I went to Thailand and cringed when the locals spoke English.
I went to USA and many in the west coast cannot speak English.
I went to Singapore and Singaporeans speak English like *$*#.


I complained about the inefficiency of our police force until :
I went to China and was horrified by the ineptness of the local police.
I went to Cambodia where you had to bribe even to lodge a report.
I went to Myanmar and (well, I better don’t say anything).
I went to Italy and learnt it was really susah to get the police do anything.
I went to India and (well, I better don’t say anything here too)


I complained that the standard of our schools was bad until :
I went to USA and learnt of the crimes that happen in the school grounds.
I went to (oil-rich) Brunei and saw how daft the student were.
I went to UK and saw how rude the students were to their teachers.
I went to Vietnam and noted the terrible condition of the classrooms.
I went to India and saw how 70 kids squeezed into a single classroom

Folks, Malaysia has its fair share of problems. The constant racial and religious bickering, unfair policies, existence of large number of stupid people especially in the political sphere, bad drivers, corruption, imbecilic media, filthy toilets, religious freaks, cows living in condos, politicians with terrible hairstyles, snatch thieves, etc..

But the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. You folks who constantly complain, bitch and bicker about Malaysia, I suggest you do a bit of travelling. Visit other countries and see how people live (don’t do the tour packages in which you learn nothing). Learn how it is like to be a citizen of another country.

Malaysia, despite its warts and all, is still my home. This is the country that I will always live, retire and eventually die in. My entire social genetic make-up is a result of my living in this country. I cannot and will not move anywhere else. And I will do what I can to make this country better.

“Hujan emas di negeri orang, hutan batu di negeri kita, baik lagi negeri kita”

credits to Monyets

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...