Saturday, 25 August 2012

Raya 2012 Part I - Story of Lemang

This will be a part of a series of posts based on my Raya celebrations of 2012.

I'm so lucky to be blessed with parents with real kampungs in Perak and Terengganu. In dramas they would have a scene where the couple argues which kampung will they go for raya. My parents are different, instead of deciding which kampung to go each year, they would go for both kampungs in the same year. Yeah! A trip around the peninsular for me!

Somewhere near Kampar on the PLUS highway there was an overturned bus that caused this traffic jam. Pitch black darkness, my Canon 600D still captures the image!

Remember my Canon 600D Low Light Street - Story of 'Santan' where I told you about the coconut milk? The story continues with the festive preparations! Let's make some Lemang!

Step 1: Clear the bush. Seriously? I don't know.
Get the young coconuts for the water and the old ones for the milk.



Mix washed glutinous rice with santan, salt and lots of love.



We're not done yet! Get some banana leaves and some bamboo stems! Cut the banana leaves carefully and let it line the inner walls of the bamboo stem for the lemang.



Fill the bamboo sticks with the pre-prepared rice!


Fill em up to around this height.


Hire some badass gangsters for help.




After that cut them up!


AND EAT!!!


Oh the raya goodness.
Stay tuned for more soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...